Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My Son is a Better Person Than I'll Ever Be: A True Story*

My 5-year-old, Dutch, has autism. Every Tuesday he takes a class with kids on the spectrum or with similar sensory issues. Yesterday this happened and it made me cry - in a good way!

A three-year-old named Miles was crying because some of the other kids were being mean to him. His mom went out there to talk to him and Dutch, noticing what was happening, went over to Miles.

"Why are you sad?" Dutch asked. "Can I do anything?"

"Can Dutch help?" Miles's mom asked.

The little boy shrugged.

"Can Dutch be your friend?" she asked.

"My name is Dutch Davis and I'm your new best friend." Dutch took the little boy's hand and watched over him for the rest of the day.

This was not a matter of good parenting. I had little or nothing to do with this. Dutch is just a naturally loving person. He hates people crying if he can help them. I hope someday I can be as good a person as Dutch is.


*This story was re-told using a little creativity as the quotes are not actual quotes, but paraphrasing put into quotes.

1 comment:

Grandma Bailey said...

I am so proud to be Duthc's grandmother!